How to Utilize Ultrasound Technology
Before starting, we recommend starting the inspection by checking that the battery of the UL101 is functional. Select the switch where the battery is indicated. If the needle of the analog meter is in the middle, it is indicating that the battery needs to be replaced. It is also very important to know the asset or bearing that is being inspected. Also, its function and process. Skipping this step could lead to false positives while inspecting.
Once we have done the above, we will proceed to carry out a sounding of the bearing, making contact at different point where the housing is located. If we have a grease fitting, we take this as our inspection point. If not, we will mark the point where better we had a better sound of the bearing.
Once the reading has been marked, we will proceed to carry out the inspection. First without using our InCTRL software. We will take what we hear and the behavior of the analog indicator as a reference.
In general, a bearing in good condition will produce a constant sound.
- If we observe that the analog indicator remains fixed or with little variation, we can deduce that the bearing is in normal condition.
- If we observe that the analog indicator has increased its reading level with respect to the previous one or its base line, this will indicate that the bearing already requires lubrication.
- If we observe that the analog indicator shows abrupt changes and does not remain constant, coupled with hearing knocking or cracking, this will alert us to a possible deviation or incipient damage and will require triggering a preventive activity where support and confirmation through other technology is recommended, the most common is vibration analysis.
Note: it is very important to take care of the details and the methodology used in order to guarantee the effectiveness of the technique, for example: we must take note of the sensitivity that we used the first time the baseline or the previous asset inspection was defined, use the same solid probe with which contact was made and make contact at the same point and in the same shape as the first reading was taken in order to ensure repeatability of the inspection.
On the other hand, if we support ourselves with the InCTRL application we can support ourselves with the image of the sound spectrum, the RMS and EPS values that the application shows and record the sound for 20 seconds and when finished just click the save button and ready, the complete information will be recorded in real time and with everything and its diagnosis alerting us with the automatic alarm system the health condition of the bearing.
The alarms that would be activated are:
- Normal Condition
The activities to be carried out based on the alarms for the care of the bearings are suggested below:
- Normal condition: continue monitoring
- Low lubrication alert – lubricate bearing
- Questionable alert: lubricate and/or vibration analysis
- Suspicious Alert: vibration analysis, bearing repair or replacement
Note: it is important when establishing the base line of the asset to adjust the sensitivity of the UL101 so that the signal is not saturated, this is taking care that the RMS value is not greater than 200 RMS, If amplitude spikes followed by small green or blue rectangles are observed in the application, it would be recommended to perform a lubrication or vibration analysis to rule out any indication of incipient failure, and in the same way, use the same solid probe, same inspection point and same method to ensure inspection repeatability.
CTRL Systems, Inc. helps organizations understand, integrate, and rely upon condition-based maintenance technology to make informed, critical business decisions. Our technology typically has ROI in the first use, but we work with our clients to measure and sustain the savings for years to come.